Sticks and Bones

The first part of a chronicle of a crush-turned-obsession. I'm sorry, Julie.


To experience this in natural reading order go to A Bright, Ironic Hell: The Straight Read .


Also, try Satellite Dance and Crystal Delusions--Parts 2 and 3, respectively--complete.

Friday, March 13, 2009

New Road (3/13/09 Friday)

There has been no rational resolution to all this, but perhaps it's past rationale and has decided for itself that it's over. The inadequacy of that statement is an ironic summation of itself: It doesn't need saying. I am over Julie, just not the feelings for her. I still want her attention but make less effort every day to get it. I like to see her; I like to look at her, but I won't interrupt my work to do so or position my task to put her in my sights. It's mostly a conscious effort--not to avoid her, but to remember why I'm really at work--but it becomes easier, more natural. I suppose I'm faking it, but I guess I'm making it, too. I am still envious of the people she talks to, and I still wish she held enough interest in me to initiate conversation, but I am beginning to form useful, rational mantras to chant to myself when the feelings arise that help calm me and subdue rising resentment. I don't say them with bitter resignation, either, but with as little attitude as possible. I seem to have a regular slot on the desk with Julie Thursday nights. I hope it stays. Tonight I asked after her mom, who has moved to a rehab center. I hoped, out of habit, to have her ask after me, but stated to myself that there was no reason she should. There was no anger, no feeling that she would or should talk to me, bu a realistic resignation based (finally!) on what I knew of her. There was simply no reason to resent her being who she was.

I will say this is the end of this journal, and saying it makes it so, because there's little else more pathetic than hanging on too long. Perhaps resolution has been reached, imperfectly and at least in spirit, without irony, or the expectation of it. I'm convinced resolutions yet to come will now come more easily. On that new road I've taken I'm no longer walking backward, but before each step is a bend around which I can't see. I'll just try to enjoy the scenery.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your work, but you must show Judy! Women like Judy want to be rattled by something Machiavellian--something godlike. She has to see the fire , before she can smell the smoke. Brilliant piece.

Dion Burn said...

First: By Judy, do you mean Julie? Second: What must I show her? The blog? She's seen it (http://abrightironichell.blogspot.com/2008/12/fool-winner-by-knockout-120208-tuesday.html). The last post? I would love for her to know that I've ended BIH, but I don't want to presume she cares. What could I show her that would make a difference, and what difference could I make?

Anonymous said...

"What could I show her that would make a difference, and what difference could I make?"--I'm sure that you can find something. You didn't use the L word did you? That's a death sentence.

Dion Burn said...

Oh, no, I did not use the L word. But I did tell her she was fascinating. That seemed to have nearly the same effect.

Tina said...

You should just act like you're an asshole and too busy for her. That seems to work for guys. LOL.

Great heart-wrenching blog.

Dion Burn said...

For the first statement: I'm glad you're kidding. (Been there, done that--failed.) For the second: Thank you for your appreciation. I gave it my all.