Sticks and Bones

The first part of a chronicle of a crush-turned-obsession. I'm sorry, Julie.


To experience this in natural reading order go to A Bright, Ironic Hell: The Straight Read .


Also, try Satellite Dance and Crystal Delusions--Parts 2 and 3, respectively--complete.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

I Hope (5/28/09 Thursday)

The girls have known about the blog since they googled me. They haven't read it. I haven't told them not to; I think the title frightens them. They don't ask me about it. They'll be thirteen in a month. I would like to talk to them about it. I would like them to know this part of me. I would like them to know what I've been through. I want them to know that a man--and a man my age--can be in love, can want love, deserves love. I at least want them to know the father they see only twice a week. And yet when they finally read this will they wonder why there is scant mention of them while countless words have been devoted to someone who doesn't depend on me for guidance, love and support? who, indeed, depends on me for nothing at all? Could my passion have been better spent?

What will the girls think of me when they read all of this? Caring about that jeopardizes the candor of my writing, but it's a candid concern. Having no older siblings to corrupt them and being nurtured more by responsible grownups than by the media, they will, I hope have thoughts of their own beyond the easily taken for granted lies of tradition, and will not, by the time they read this already believe, say, that a man's emotional strength is his ability to suppress his emotions. Perhaps I can flatter myself to think that their reading this will positively solidify their thoughts on the subject, arming them against popular opinion. I can only hope, and I do. But I hope, first, that they do not judge me. If I have not been a great father it is not because of my preoccupation with Julie but because of my preoccupation with myself. In the process of getting in touch with myself and trying to become whole and learn to love myself without judgement, I have lost touch with the only beings who love me without judgment. (I am aware of the irony, but I don't embrace it.) They likely will be bewildered at first, then frightened, then aghast. After that? What connections will they make between my words and my actions? Consistent and integral ones, I hope; ones that solidify my dimensions, root me deeply and positively into the context of their lives. At the very least, what they read should shed enough light on their perceived shortcomings of me to illuminate a compassionate understanding.

3 comments:

Expat From Hell said...

Girls love men who blog. My daughter thinks my blog is terrific. Keep up the good work, and don't look down!
It is the writings of trials and tribulations - your observations and feelings and actions that demonstrate that you are a true, deep soul to anyone willing to listen. Or in this case, read.

EFH

Anonymous said...

I 100% agree with the lovely Expat. And because your blog is dedicated to other things, it doesn't mean that your daughters are less important - Monkey is the light of my life and the only thing that matters to me, but I write surprisingly little about him... .....because my blog is where I vent about more trivial stuff, I guess.

I wouldn't worry, and keep going. I really, really enjoy reading your blog.

Anna
x

Dion Burn said...

You're right, both of you: This journal has always had a particular focus and inspiration, and I vowed from the start not to veer from that path. Why should I fear judgment from my children, the least judgmental people I know?