Sticks and Bones

The first part of a chronicle of a crush-turned-obsession. I'm sorry, Julie.


To experience this in natural reading order go to A Bright, Ironic Hell: The Straight Read .


Also, try Satellite Dance and Crystal Delusions--Parts 2 and 3, respectively--complete.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mostly Snotty, with a Ninety-Percent Chance of Vitriol (5/20/09 Wednesday)

Often, most often on days when my self-esteem is bottoming out, my first encounter with Julie is the bellwether of my workday. Today is one of those days, and I'm not having a good one. I was a deer in Julies headlights, only this time she didn't rescue me with a comical greeting, and I was left out to dry with my regret of inaction. So, I'm back to covering her up with music as I process holds, pretending she's not behind me at her desk or the drive-up window, but all the while feeling her there and my temperature rising. I seem to be sinking. I could have used "she knows," but it's too late; that's a shield I need to ride into battle with--it can't remove the slings and arrows and patch up the wounds. At least it's only a half-day with her, but it's her second half. I'd rather brood at home than at work. I don't want to be that guy at work, the one with the storm-clouded brow who might as soon rain on you as give you the time of day.

No comments: