Sticks and Bones

The first part of a chronicle of a crush-turned-obsession. I'm sorry, Julie.


To experience this in natural reading order go to A Bright, Ironic Hell: The Straight Read .


Also, try Satellite Dance and Crystal Delusions--Parts 2 and 3, respectively--complete.

Friday, February 13, 2009

But the Arrogance of the Individual Is Kryptonite (2/12/09 Thursday)

I was in unusually high spirits at work yesterday. It was easy avoiding Julie, and I was careful not to wish for more of a challenge. But the same south wind that pushed me to work put a palm to my forehead as I swung wildly at it on the way home. It took me nearly an hour, rarely getting into third gear. By the time I finally turned into the complex I was thinking bitter thoughts of Julie's rejection, rueing these stupid roles pressed upon us. Wouldn't I like the chance to be "flattered" by a "nice girl." Dammit, I've been round and round this: If she didn't feel it, she didn't feel it. Why do I still want her to? Do I still want some payoff on my investment? or is there really something in Julie for me?

The wind has not abated this morning--over twenty miles an hour from the west--but I'm not on the bike today. Walked up to Ben Franklin, the gusts quickening my steps. I thought that if I left my feet at the moment a gust were to shove me I might be carried on it for a while, like the leaves that were racing past me, but I tried it and didn't get the slightest lift. Bad timing, I guess.

I took Julie's picture to Ben Franklin. I'm still working on how to attach it to the fender so that I can expose it when I ride and cover it at work. I thought I might find a small photo pocket. I didn't find one at the photo shop yesterday when I picked up the picture) or get it laminated. I'd then attach it at the corners to the fender with velcro tabs and simply flip it back and forth. I left Ben Franklin with only a small paper cutter. We have a laminator at work, but I don't know how to use it. Besides, my conscience isn't likely to let me use company equipment for my own pleasure, especially given that the pleasure is illicit in that the photo, if it were seen would, once again be a violation of Gay Lynn's trust. Of course, despite my efforts at discretion, someone could still flip the picture over and leave it exposed, and then even move my bike as they (Chris) did before under the tag scanner by the back door so everyone could get a gander. But that would be to assume that anyone at work still reads the blog. The more accurate assumption might be that they think they killed the blog. Ah, but the arrogance of the mob is no match for the righteousness of the individual.

No comments: